www.kellysherlock.com

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Flops

As a child, my mother never allowed us to take our shoes off at other people's houses. We went completely dressed in an outfit that included shoes and were to remain dressed throughout the day/ event.  I never really appreciated that "drill sergeant" rule of fashion until I got older and noticed the number of girls who were quick to take their shoes off no matter where we went.  In high school, girls were always taking their shoes off at sweet 16 parties, proms, etc., and as I continued to age, weddings became the place where the shoes came off.  This became the “norm” so much so that the trend now is to give flip flops as the favor at receptions to make female guests more comfortable.

Traditionally, I am a big believer in being different or making things your own – always putting your personal touch on everything.  I guess that’s why I’m not too bothered when everyone partakes in the “flip flop wearing” as a group!  I guess I do fall into the age old saying of "if everybody's doing it, it must be ok.” I may even partake in the "casual fun" from time to time (don’t tell my mom). But weddings are starting to get so “casual shoe” friendly, that the flip flops are now becoming the go-to shoe when guests get to the reception whether they are offered as part of the wedding festivities or not.

I saw a bridesmaid this past weekend wearing platform, jeweled flip flops with a short bridesmaid dress. The last thing you should do when ruining the look of your $200 bridesmaid dress is bring attention to the situation.  Just because they have jewels on them does not suddenly make flip flops a formal shoe.
Here’s the etiquette girl - You don’t have to wear stilettos, you just have to wear "dress shoes.”  So if you leave the house not being able to walk in the shoes, it certainly will not get better as you start drinking and dancing. Wear shoes that you can handle for the entire night. 


But wait, unfortunately, I do have to take this one step further.  I feel that this should go without saying, but apparently I must say it, so let me tell you all that not wearing any shoes is definitely not ok; EVER!  And to make matters worse, it breaks my heart that I have to mention that walking thru the French Quarter without shoes is not only repulsive and a sure fire sign that you are a tourist, but it’s also a guarantee that you’re going home with more than a hangover. That type of etiquette is something that I'm not sure I can ever cover. But do keep this in mind; if you are so drunk that you think taking your shoes off at a wedding reception is a good idea then abort immediately. Have someone put you in a car and get you home right away for you are more than likely about to black out, vomit or at least give the videographer his award winning footage for the night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment