www.kellysherlock.com

Friday, June 25, 2010

If the Shoe Fits

Last weekend I had the pleasure of standing in a wedding rather than working at a wedding, and my friend, the bride, had hesitation about the shoes she would wear on her special day. Should she wear the white satin shoes to match her white satin dress, or should she step outside the box and wear the shoes matching her beautiful bridesmaids? “Step outside the box,” I always advise and so she did!
Her stiletto heels with the satin ruffle across the back mocked her dress perfectly, saying “I’m a traditional bride with my pretty, perfect shoes.” But when dancing on the dance floor, lifting up her dress ever so slightly to show off her foot décor, they also screamed, “I’m not like any other bride in my RED shoes and I’m having the time of my life while wearing them!”
Okay, so maybe they weren’t making that big of a statement, but I have had brides in the past wearing blue shoes and red shoes and sometimes pink shoes. Often times the color that the bride chooses for her bridesmaids is her favorite color or her color scheme for the entire wedding. A perfect way to incorporate yourself into your wedding theme is through something as simple as your shoes, and it is also a great way to show off your personality.
The color of the perfect wedding shoe is not the only way to show who you are; it’s the style that tells the story.
According to Peggy Post in Emily Post’s ‘The Definitive Guide to Your Wedding Experience’, the bride traditionally wears shoes matching her dress color and fabric. She also states that comfort is now more important than traditional style. She specifically states that you should avoid stiletto-heeled shoes and of course, I could not disagree more.
On your special day, pick a shoe that fits your personality and your style, not necessarily your feet for 10 hours straight. If 5 inch Manolos are what you’ve always dreamed of, then give them your best shot and I’ll meet you in the back of the reception with some back up flip flops if your feet start screaming so loudly that you can’t hear the music. Some brides are just like me – they can wear those shoes all night and never think twice. Others just want them until the pictures are taken and the dancing starts and to me, that’s perfect!
Whether your desires lead you to the flat ballet slippers or funky flip flops, the chuck tailors or Jimmy Choos, it’s all about expressing yourself and being comfortable with how you finish off your look – most of us finish off our looks with the right shoes. So if on your wedding day, you decide to step outside the box and wear something that doesn’t seem the most traditional, at least make sure it screams “Here comes the bride and she’s not like any bride you’ve ever seen!”

4 comments:

  1. Well put! Now I wish I had worn pink shoes on my wedding day! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost wore colored shoes...but feel in LOVE with my beige ones, and figured I could dye them something sassy afterwards. I'll always remember them as my "wedding shoes", but I can now wear them other times with other dresses...and keep loving them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! The bride definitely did look sassy - and like herself - in those red heels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the reassurance! i'm so happy y'all talked me into it at the last minute! i certainly felt sassy, as red always does to me. and, suprisingly, my feet never hurt a bit. my little attendant guy kept asking if i was ready for flips flops and i was like, "No way!" Love the blog! Be brave brides out there! Strut your stuff!

    ReplyDelete